It’s no secret that Laravel is one our favourite PHP Frameworks for building enterprise-level Apps and digital products. As Laravel 9 is released it brings some welcome updates and new features and improvements.
Laravel 9 now has a minimum PHP v8.0 version, controller route groups, a refreshed default Ignition error page, Laravel Scout database engine, Symfony mailer integration, Flysystem 3.x, Improved Eloquent accessors/mutators, and a load of other features.
This latest release also marks a change in the release cycle so major releases will happen every 12 months. It is worth noting that Laravel 8 will receive bug updates until July 2022 and security fixes until January 2023.
Latest updates include:
- PHP 8 is the minimum version in Laravel 9
- New Design for routes:list
- New test
--coverageoption displays coverage directly in the terminal
- Anonymous Stub Migrations are now the default
- New Query Builder Interface
- PHP 8 String Functions
- Moved mailer functionality from SwiftMailer to Symfony Mailer
- Flysystem 3.x
- Improved Eloquent Accessors/Mutators
- Implicit Route Bindings With Enums (PHP 8.1)
- Controller Route Groups
- Enum Eloquent Attribute Casting
- Forced Scoped Bindings
- Laravel Breeze API & Next.js
- Laravel Scout Database Engine
- Full-Text Indexes / Where Clauses
- Rendering Inline Blade Templates
- Soketi Echo Server
- Optional Bootstrap 5 Pagination Views
- Improved Ignition Exception Page
We’ve already started updating existing Laravel applications so if you need support then please get in touch.